“There’s nothing to do.”
Those are common phrases parents hear from their children during the summer months.
We gathered a few boredom buster ideas from our New Horizon Academy teachers and thought you would enjoy this clever way of helping your child avoid summer boredom. It also serves as a creative and fun way to have family fun during the summer months.
Boredom Buster Jars
- Craft sticks
- Permanent marker
- Washi tape, markers, or paint
- Jar or container to hold your “Boredom Buster” ideas
- Brainstorm activity ideas or use our list of ideas below. Create a balance of activities children can do independently with little materials and supervision and some that you do together.
- Write each activity on a craft stick with a permanent marker.
- If so desired, color-code activities with washi tape, markers, or paint (That way you can direct your child to an activity that you are able to implement!)
How to Implement:
- When your child is bored, or you are looking for a fun activity to engage in as a family, have your child select a craft stick from the Boredom Buster Jar.
- Read the activity on the craft stick and begin the activity.
Boredom Buster Ideas
Kids Cuisine: Cooking Activities
- Make Tropical Smoothies
- Make our Strawberry, Banana Cheesecake Salad
- Create a Rainbow Snack
- Make a Cucumber Sandwich
- Make Banana Sushi Roll Up
- Make Cracker Stackers
- Make a Berry Delicious Breakfast Parfait
- Make a Pita Pocket Sandwich
- Create Ice Cream in a Bag
- Create a Stoplight Snack
- Make a Greek Yogurt Parfait
- Make Strawberry Dole Whip
- Make No Bake Blueberry Oatmeal Energy Balls
- Bake Homemade Chicken Fingers with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Bake Ham and Cheese Muffins
- Make Cottage Cheese Protein Pancakes
- Make You Are My Sunshine Snack
- Make Owl Rice Cakes
- Create at Crunchy Rainbow Wrap
- Create a Food Group Friend
- Make Your Own Bird Feeder
- Make a Coffee Filter Rainbow
- Do an Apple Painting Activity
- Create a Bubble Art Painting
- Make a Great Outdoors Nature Painting
- Create a card for a loved one.
- Paint outdoors. Head outdoors and paint in nature.
- Create masterpieces using sidewalk chalk.
- Paint rocks.
- Create sculptures with playdough or clay.
- Use markers, stickers, paint, and/or other art supplies you have on hand to decorate a large box.
- Create a nature collage.
- Sketch outdoors.
Kids Fitness: Outdoor Activities
- Go bird watching.
- Go on an alphabet walk.
- Have a relay race.
- Play Red Light, Green Light.
- Become an animal tracker with our Great Outdoors Animal Tracker Activity.
- Do animal yoga.
- Make your own bubbles and chase them.
- Play kickball.
- Play tag.
- Go to the park.
- Play catch.
- Go for a bike ride.
- Play Simon Says.
- Fly a kite.
Kids Fitness: Indoor Activities
- Play Spin a Move Game.
- Get moving with our Roll and Move Game.
- Do animal yoga.
- Have a dance party.
- Play with bubbles.
- Act out a story.
- Host a family talent show.
- Play indoor hopscotch.
- Play Island Hopping. Throw pillows and cushions on the floor. Hop from one to another.
Kids STEAM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics Activities
- Complete our Bean Sprout Activity.
- Do our Exploring Weather Activity.
- Complete our Dissecting an Apple STEAM Activity.
- Playdough STEAM Challenge.
- Create Olympic Fizz Rings.
- Host a DIY Regatta Race.
- Design a Glider with our Engineer a Glider Activity.
- Create Whimsical Cars.
- Make Oobleck.
- Make Rubbery Playdough.
- Make Playdough.
- Make Oatmeal Playdough.
- Make Moon Sand.
- Create Birdfeeders.
- Create Your own Pinball Machine.