Did you know you can make corn dance? Surprise, you can! This magical STEAM activity will get the kids so excited. This dancing corn experiment can be done any time of the year but is especially fun in the fall!
Dancing Corn – Kid’s STEAM Tutorial
- Tall glass jar
- ¼ cup of popping corn
- 2 tbsp of baking soda
- 1 cup of vinegar
- 2 cups of water
- Fill the jar with 2 cups of water to start.
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda and stir well to mix thoroughly.
- Add a drop of food coloring (optional).
- Now add the popping corn kernels to the jar.
- Lastly, add vinegar slowly. A fizzing eruption may take place.
Watch as the corn dances in the jar!
*Corn kernels are a choking hazard for young children; close adult supervision is required for this activity.*
Questions to Ask Your Child After the Dancing Corn Experiment:
- What happened to the corn?
- How long were the kernels moving?
- What ingredient caused the reaction?