If you are looking for a fun STEAM activity to do with your children for Halloween, this is it! This ghoulish science experiment will have your children wanting to do this STEAM activity over and over again; it’s very thrilling.
Materials Needed for Pumpkin Experiment
- Real Pumpkin or Jack-O’-Lantern
- 1 Cup Hydrogen Peroxide
- 2 Dry Yeast Packets
- 6 Tbsp Warm Water
- Food Coloring
- Beaker (at least 500 ml)
- 2 Tbsp Dish Soap
- Safety Goggles
- Carve a simple face into your pumpkin creating a jack-o’-lantern if you decide to use a real pumpkin.
- Have an adult pour 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide into the cylinder.
- Add the cylinder inside the pumpkin. Add 2 tablespoons of dish soap into the cylinder.
- Add several drops of food coloring.
- Empty the yeast into a bowl, add the warm water, and mix well until blended.
- Pour the yeast into the cylinder. Step back and watch the foamy magic happen!
* WARNING: Do not touch the foam due to the reaction until several minutes after it cools down.
Oozing Pumpkin Video Tutorial
Questions to Ask Your Child After the Experiment
- What happened when all the ingredients are mixed together?
- What color was the foam?
- Why do you think the mixture created that reaction?
Did you love this pumpkin STEAM activity? Try some of our other Halloween-themed science experiments: