Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math opportunities are all around us. Simple items like pumpkins provide a wide range of exploration opportunities for your child to learn about the scientific method, enhance their math skills, develop engineering skills, use tools, and boost their creativity. It is really pretty simple; just use our investigation mat to explore the pumpkin with your little pumpkin!
- Pumpkin or pumpkins (Various shapes and sizes)
- Markers or crayons
- Knife to carve the pumpkin (This should be done by an adult!)
- Newspaper or tablecloth
- Pumpkin STEAM Investigation Sheet (optional)
- Use our SciKids at New Horizon Academy Pumpkin STEAM Investigation Sheet to begin the exploration.
- Explore the exterior of the pumpkin and answer the questions on the New Horizon Academy Pumpkin STEAM Investigation Sheet. Ask a lot of questions to help your child really explore and think deeply about their investigation.
- After exploring the exterior of the pumpkin, use a sharp knife to cut a circular hole in the top of the pumpkin. The hole should be large enough for a hand to easily fit inside. (An adult should cut out the top of the pumpkin.)
- Use a spoon to scoop out the pulp and seeds. Take time to explore the pulp and seeds. Ask questions like, “What does the pulp feel like?”, “How many seeds do you think are inside the pumpkin?”, “How many pumpkin seeds were actually inside the pumpkin?”, “Can you sort them by size?”
Tip: Save the seeds for roasted pumpkin seeds.
Have fun with your pumpkin exploration!