Fall is in the air, so thoughts naturally gravitate towards pumpkins. October 26th is National Pumpkin Day and we have a fun pumpkin activity that you can do with your little one. Read below to find out how to make a pumpkin volcano!
Pumpkin Volcano Experiment – Video Tutorial
Pumpkin Volcano Recipe
- A small pumpkin
- 1 cup of vinegar
- 1 tsp of liquid dish soap
- Food coloring
- 4-6 Tbsp. of baking soda
- Tray or baking tray
- Cut off the top of the pumpkin and hollow out the inside of the pumpkin.
- Place the pumpkin on the tray.
- Pour water inside of the pumpkin. Fill it about 2/3 full.
- Add baking soda, dish soap, and food coloring.
- Stir the ingredients well.
- Add the vinegar until the volcano starts foaming, pouring its lava onto the pumpkin.
Ask: What do you think will happen when you add the vinegar to the pumpkin?
Discuss the reaction: The “lava” bubbles that erupt are filled with carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide is a gas that forms when an acid – the vinegar – reacts with a base – the baking soda.