Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and we have an adorable Valentine’s Day craft for preschoolers to create! This homemade heart wreath is super easy to make, using only a paper plate, tissue paper, and glue.
Preschoolers will tap into their creativity and build fine motor skills as they practice cutting out hearts and gluing tissue paper to their plates to make their very own Valentine’s Day heart wreaths!
How to Make a Heart Wreath for Valentine’s Day
- White paper plate
- Glue stick
- Red and pink tissue paper
- Hole punch
- String or yarn
For younger children, prepare the heart wreath supplies by completing steps 1-3 for them.
For older children, give them more fine motor practice by having them complete steps 1-3 as you supervise.
- Take a white paper plate and fold it in half.
- Using a light pencil, draw half of a circle. (The middle of the circle should be along the crease). Then, use a pair of kid-friendly scissors to cut out the heart. You will use the outer edge of the plate for your Valentine’s Day heart wreath.*
- Cut out small squares from your red and pink tissue paper.
- Give your child a glue stick and have them glue the tissue paper squares onto the outside of the paper plate.
- After your child is finished making their heart wreath colorful, use a hole punch to cut out a small hole near the top-middle of your paper plate.
- Thread string or yarn through the hole and voila! You have created a fun and easy Valentine’s Day heart wreath!
*Feel free to have your child decorate the leftover cut-out heart for more creative fun!
Did your preschooler enjoy making a Valentine’s Day heart wreath? There are more heart-themed activities where that came from! Explore some of our other favorite Valentine’s Day crafts for kids:
- Valentine’s Day Heart Garland Craft
- Homemade Valentine’s Day Cards
- Valentine’s Day Frozen Yogurt Hearts
New Horizon Academy is a nationally recognized early learning provider with over 90+ schools in Minnesota, Colorado, Iowa, Idaho, and Kansas. Through a play-based curriculum and high-quality daycare, New Horizon Academy schools nurture and prepare children to succeed in school and life.
Schedule a tour to learn more about our highly trained teachers, safe and secure facilities, and commitment to providing the highest quality care. Contact a New Horizon Academy childcare center near you today!