Looking for a fun STEAM experiment to try with your child this summer? Try making rainbow snake bubbles! This colorful STEAM activity is a fun, easy experiment that can be made using common household materials. Grab an old sock, plastic bottle, food coloring, and dish soap, and watch as a vibrant stream of bubbles create a rainbow snake!
What You Need
- Plastic Bottle
- Food Coloring
- Rubber Bands
- Dish Soap
Instructions for Rainbow Snake Bubbles
- Cut your bottle in half.
- Cut the bottom of your sock off with enough room to fit over half of your bottle with the mouth opening.
- Secure the sock over the bottle with a couple of rubber bands.
- Add water and several squirts of dish soap to your bowl. Stir the mixture.
- Dot food coloring around the sock until you reach the middle. Make sure the sock is completely covered with your rainbow.
- Add drops of dish soap all over the sock.
- Dip your sock inside the bowl of dish soap and water just to get it wet. You don’t want to drench it.
- Start creating your rainbow bubbles!
Try making this activity your own by experimenting with different color combinations to create different variations of rainbow bubbles!
Rainbow Snake Bubbles – Video Tutorial
Questions to Ask Your Child After the Experiment:
- What happened when you started to blow into the bottle?
- What did the bubbles do?
- What colors did you see?
Did your family enjoy making rainbow snake bubbles? Try some of our other creative bubble activities below: