With summer upon us and the 4th of July around the corner, there is no better way to celebrate the holiday than by spending time with family enjoying fun activities, all while creating incredible memories. Our teachers at New Horizon Academy shared a few of their favorite ideas for celebrating this important holiday.
Paper Tube Fireworks
For your little artist, we recommend creating Paper Tube Fireworks. Your child will have a blast creating these safe fireworks.
- Paper towel tubes
- Paper plates
- Red, white, and blue paint
- Construction paper
- Cut one end of the paper towel tube into strips. Repeat until you have three tubes prepared.
- Press the paper towel tube, so that the strips are flat like fireworks.
- Place construction paper on your work surface.
- Pour paint onto paper plates. One color per plate.
- Gently dip the paper towel tube in the paint. (Less paint works better.)
- Layer the different colored paint onto the paper, so they look like fireworks.
Enjoy the beautiful fireworks you have created.
Paper Plate Dancing Wand and Patriotic Dance Party
Here is a fun idea that combines art and music. Create dancing ribbons, then turn on patriotic music and dance to the tunes.
- Paper plates
- Red, white, and blue streamers or ribbon
- Stickers, markers, crayons, paint, or other craft materials
- Ribbon, streamers, or plastic tablecloth
- Staple two paper plates together. This will make it a little sturdier. (Please provide adult supervision when working with the stapler.)
- Cut a hole in the center of the paper plates.
- Decorate your paper plated with stickers, tape, markers, and other craft materials.
- Cut the ribbon, streamers, or plastic tablecloth into strips.
- Staple ribbon, streamers, or plastic tablecloth onto the paper plate.
Have fun moving and grooving to the patriotic music with your new dancing wand.