Fizzing Candy Canes Experiment
Turn candy canes, a holiday favorite, into a fun STEAM activity with your child. If your child does not like candy canes, it is a perfect way to put them to good use! This activity is one of our favorite holiday STEAM science activities for toddlers and preschoolers because you can easily do it at home, and it is mess free!
How to Make Fizzing Candy Canes
- Candy canes*
- Condiment squeeze bottles
- Food coloring
- Baking soda
- Unwrap the candy canes.
- Sprinkle the tray with the baking soda, place the candy canes on top, and then sprinkle the baking soda on the canes, coating them completely.
- Fill the squeeze bottles with vinegar and your choice of food coloring.
- Squirt the vinegar mixture onto the candy canes.
- Watch what happens!
*Adult supervision is required for this activity, as hard candy, such as candy canes, can be a choking hazard.
Questions to Ask Your Child After the Experiment
- What happens to the candy canes?
- What happened to the candy cane’s stripes?
- What happened to the baking soda when the vinegar was added?