Looking for ways to keep you and your child active during the winter months? Well, we have a few ideas for indoor and outdoor activities. Here are some of our favorites.
Outdoor Winter Activities
- Go on a winter-wonder walk. Enhance your walk by playing ‘I Spy’ or make it a silly walk. Gallop like a horse, run like a cheetah, hop like a bunny, etc.
- Enjoy the snow. Make a snowman, snow fort, or snow maze on snowy days. Go sledding, throw snowballs, or make snow angels.
- Chase bubbles. We often think of using bubbles in the warmer weather, but they are just as much fun in the colder weather. If it is cold enough, the bubbles will freeze.
- Explore winter sports. Try a winter activity like snowshoeing, skating, or skiing.
Indoor Winter Activities
- Host a dance party. Turn up the music and dance. Dancing is a wonderful way to get
the entire family moving.
- Play movement games. Simon Says, Charades, and Twister are great games to get your family moving.
- Create a Movin’ and Groovin’ Jar. Use the New Horizon Academy Movin’ and Groovin’ Cards to get active.
- New Horizon Academy Movin’ and Groovin’ Cards
- Jar or bowl
- Cut out the Movin’ and Groovin’ Cards.
- Place the cards in the jar or bowl.
- Each player pulls a card from the jar or bowl.
- Players should imitate the movement of the animal on the card.
Have fun movin’ and groovin’ together!
- Create an obstacle course. Use materials around your home to create an obstacle course. Your child can jump over a pillow, crawl under a chair, limbo under a broom, etc. Get creative!
- Play an indoor snowball toss game. Use soft indoor snowballs and toss them into a basket. If you do not have indoor snowballs, crumple up tissue paper and toss that into the basket.
Pick your favorite activities and play them all winter long!