Reading aloud is one of the most important ways to help your child’s communication and language skills grow and develop. In fact, reading aloud helps support your child’s talking, listening, and attention skills. It also sets a foundation of reading for many years to come!
How you read to your child will change over time as they grow. Here are six tips for reading aloud to your preschooler:
- Read together every day!
- Choose books that have information about what your child likes–from dinosaurs and farm animals to sports and nature.
- Reread your child’s favorite books. Point out their favorite characters or pictures in the story.
- Ask what your child thinks will happen next; and answer any questions he or she has. This helps improve their understanding about what’s going on in the book!
- Make sure the television is off when you’re reading to avoid any distractions and further improve your child’s focus on the story.
- Continue to visit the library for book recommendations and designated story hours.