Are you looking for a fun way to incorporate science and learning into playful activities for your child? This easy STEAM experiment can be done using four simple household items: crayons, corn syrup, water, and empty water bottles. Allow your child to experiment and observe the concept of density as they place the crayons in three different liquids. Ask your child thoughtful questions as they discover what happens to the crayons during the experiment.
Here’s what you need to try this educational sensory bottle experiment at home.
- Corn Syrup
- Empty Water Bottles
- Fill the water bottle with water and leave about one inch of space at the top.
- Add a few crayons to the water bottle and screw on the water bottle cap.
- Watch to see what happens with the crayons and in the water bottle.
- Repeat steps 1-3 with a new water bottle, but this time use corn syrup.
- Repeat steps 1-3 with a new water bottle, but this time use half water and half corn syrup.
Questions to Ask Your Child During the Experiment
- Do the crayons float?
- Do the crayons sink?
- Can you control where they will land in the water or corn syrup?
- What is the density of the liquid like?
Did your child love this sensory bottle experiment? Explore other great sensory activities from New Horizon Academy.