Celebrating Black History Month: Ida B. Wells
Ida B. Wells was a prominent journalist, activist, and researcher in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In her lifetime, she challenged the status quo and fought for freedom, justice, and equal opportunity. She co-founded the National Association of Colored Women’s Clubs and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). She was an incredible role model to encourage all of us to raise our voices and stand up for what we believe in.
Read Power in My Pen: A Snippet of The Life of Ida B. Wells, by Francis W. Minikon. As you read this beautifully told and illustrated story, your family will step into the world of Ida B. Wells and learn about how she made history in journalism and social justice.
This powerful story will inspire you to make a difference.
Create a Social Justice Giving Box or Jar
If you and your family are inspired to support a specific cause, create a giving box and add money whenever possible. Then donate to an organization that works for social justice in a way that inspires your family. Here are a few ideas on how to create your very own giving box or jar.
- Container (clean can, small box, or jar) with an opening at the top
- Craft supplies, such as stickers, wiggly eyes, craft sticks, chenille markers, etc.
- Decorate the container. Use stickers, wiggly eyes, craft sticks, markers, or other craft supplies you have on hand.
- Decide how you will fill it.
- Donate a portion of your allowance
- Add loose change.
- Create an individualized plan to donate to others.
- As a family, discuss cause(s) you want to support. Then begin donating.
- When your box is full, count your donation and send it to your chosen organization.
Extend the Learning
You can enhance your child’s learning by asking reflection questions. Here are a few of our favorite questions.
- What is the best way for our family to fill our Giving Box?
- Why is it important to share our money with others?
- How will we decide where to donate our money?
- How do you feel about sharing your money with those in need?
- What impact do you think your donation will have in the lives of others?