Take time to enjoy playing outdoors with your infant for at least 20 minutes each day. Here are some of our favorite ideas to do indoors or outdoors to help children be active!
- Tape a line on the floor as a balance beam or tight rope. Have children walk on it. Make up stories and have them pretend, such as they are on a bridge and crossing over cold water or hot lava that is all around.
- Provide balls for toddlers to kick, roll, and throw. Begin introducing games by using a plastic liter bottle and a soft ball to “bowl” or a basket to throw a ball into. Have children play make-believe by turning objects into other things, such as a basket into a train.
- Provide safe areas for toddlers to walk and move around. Play music or provide a rhythm that can help control their movements.
- Toddlers can play simple fun games by following basic instructions. Create some fun by using silly actions. For example, “open your eyes really wide while you run,” “close your eyes tight and twirl around,” “cover your feet with your hands and walk across the yard.”
- Provide foot-driven riding toys, small wagons for pulling, or stand-up toys for pushing.